This easy to make allspice plum cake is the ultimate coffee cake! It is healthy and tasty, with the most refreshing taste. The allspice and plums complement each other beautifully to create a treat that’s bursting with flavor without being overly sweet. And it is also perfect for a picnic, breakfast on the go, midmorning snack at work, or to bring as a gift to a loved one.
Since this is a one layer cake, it is as fool-proof as cakes can get.
To make it as nutritious as possible, I used three different types of flour:
- All-purpose flour
- Oat flour
- Almond flour
The all-purpose flour provides gluten which gives the cake structural integrity. Additionally, the oat flour and almond flour provide protein, fiber, and minerals like iron.
I also incorporated some yogurt into the batter to keep the cake from drying. If you can’t find 3% yogurt, you can use any plain yogurt from 2 to 5% fat content.
For the topping I used fresh plums and lemon sugar. To make the lemon sugar, zest a lemon over some sugar and rub them together.
I baked this cake in a cake pan of 23 cm (9 inch) diameter. Please note that baking time will differ if you use a cake pan of a different size. You will know your cake is ready when you insert a toothpick into the center of the cake and it comes out clean.
I recommend you store the cake at room temperature covered with plastic wrap for up to three days. However, if you have extra, I suggest you slice it and freeze the slices in ziplock bags. Once you’re ready to enjoy it, thaw it at room temperature for 15-20 minutes right before eating it.
See more cake recipes here.
And finally, here is the recipe for the easy allspice plum cake:
Easy Allspice Plum Cake
- 1 cup (100 g/ 3 ½ oz.) oat flour
- ¾ cup (120 g/ 4 ¼ oz.) all-purpose flour
- ¼ cup (30 g/ 1 oz.) almond flour
- ¾ cup (150 g/ 5 ¼ oz.)+ 3 tbsp. granulated sugar
- ¾ cup (180 g/ 6 ⅓ oz.) plain yogurt (3% fat content)
- ½ cup (120 ml/ 4 ¼ fl.oz.) canola oil
- 3 large eggs, room temperature
- 3 large plums, thinly sliced
- zest from half a lemon
- 2 tsp. ground allspice
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- ½ tsp. baking soda
- ¼ tsp. salt
- 2 tbsp. canola oil for greasing the baking pan
- 2-3 tbsp. oat flour, for dusting the baking pan
- Pre-heat oven to 180°C (350°F).
- In a small bowl, place the 3 tbsp. granulated sugar, then grate the zest from half a lemon over the sugar. Rub the zest into the sugar, until evenly distributed. Set aside to allow the zest flavors to infuse into the sugar.
- In a bowl, sift the all-purpose flour, oat flour, and allspice. Add the almond flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Whisk them well together.
- In another bowl, add the yogurt, sugar, eggs, oil, and vanilla extract. Whisk them until mixture is homogeneous.
- Add the flour mix to the wet ingredients in two-three steps. With a spatula mix well after each addition, until all the flour mix is incorporated.
- Grease a cake pan, and pour the batter. Arrange plum slices onto the surface of the batter. Sprinkle the lemon sugar (prepared earlier). Bake for 50-60 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean.