I’ve shared a lot of donut recipes here but I recently realized that I never shared any gluten free ones. So I had to change that by sharing the recipe for these gluten free allspice wild blueberry donuts! They are quick and simple to make, but pack a punch in terms of flavor. An ideal sweet treat for any season and occasion.
To make them gluten free I used oat flour. If you’ve seen my other GF recipes you know oat flour is my favorite gluten free flour out there. It is tasty, but doesn’t have a strong flavor on it own (unlike bean flours) that takes away from the aromas of the ingredients. It is also very fine, which creates non-grainy baked goods (unlike nut flours). And most importantly, oat flour is pretty nutritious.
It is quite easy to bake with oat flour. Just use it the way you would use regular flour. But keep in mind that as with all gluten free flours, the final product will be a little bit crumbly but nothing to worry about.
To minimize the crumbliness and to make the batter as airy as possible I decided to limit the volume of liquids. Therefore I chose to use vanillated sugar instead of vanilla extract. If you’re not sure where to find it, it’s available online on Amazon. You may also find it in grocery stores that carry European produce.
For the glaze I used frozen wild blueberries. I know it can be really hard to find fresh ones, but don’t worry. Frozen ones are just as good. I let them thaw then put them in a food processor to make a purée and used it in making the glaze. I chose to keep the peel in there for extra texture and color.
Since the purée is quite thick, you also need to add some hot water to dissolve the sugar. However, if you choose to use the juice only then you don’t need the water. Simply strain you purée to collect the juice. Add 2 tbsp. of juice to the sugar and mix well. If the glaze is too thick, add a little more juice.
Regardless if you use the juice or the purée, the flavor of the glaze is just as good.
For baking the donuts I used a regular 6-cavity donut pan and it yielded 8 medium sized donuts.
See more donut recipes here.
Here’s how to make the gluten free allspice wild blueberry donuts:
Gluten Free Allspice Wild Blueberry Donuts
For the batter:
- 1 ¼ cups (125 g/ 4 ½ oz.) oat flour
- ⅓ cup (70 g/ 2 ½ oz.) granulated sugar
- ½ stick (60 g/ 2 oz.) unsalted butter
- 3 large eggs, room temperature
- 1 tbsp. vanillated sugar
- 1 tsp. ground allspice
- ¼ tsp. salt
- 2 tbsp. butter for greasing the baking pan
For the glaze:
- 1 cup (120 g/ 4 ¼ oz.) icing sugar
- 2 tbsp. wild blueberry purée
- 1-2 tbsp. hot water
For the batter:
- Preheat oven to 180 °C (350 °F).
- In a bowl, sift the flour then add the allspice. Mix them and set aside.
- Crack the eggs into another bowl, add the sugar, vanillated sugar, salt and beat at high speed with an electric mixer. The mixture is ready when almost triple in volume and light in color.
- Gently melt the butter over low temperature. Make sure the butter does not bubble. Once melted allow it to cool a little.
- Using a spatula add the flour to the bowl with the eggs in two steps, mixing after each addition. Make sure the flour is well incorporated, but do not over mix. Add the melted cooled butter in two steps and mix gently until incorporated. Allow the batter to sit for 15 minutes.
- Grease the donut pan with butter. Pipe or spoon the batter into the pan filling ¾ of each cavity and bake for 12-14 minutes.
- Once baked, take the pan out of the oven and allow the donuts to sit in the pan for 2-3 minutes. Transfer the baked donuts to a rack and let them cool completely.
For the glaze:
- Add the wild blueberry purée and the hot water to the icing sugar and mix. Dip or drizzle the glaze onto the donuts.