These gluten free chocolate chip cookies are my favorite recipe I have ever created. Not because they’re fancy or unique, but because they are gluten free cookies made with only simple ingredients. No starches, gums, or other stabilizers. They’re also made entirely with only one type of flour: oat flour, which is one of the more nutritious flours out there.
Everyone who bakes gluten free knows how challenging it is to create something that both holds its shape and tastes decently good. As a food scientist I love the challenge of creating new recipes, and this one I’m really proud of.
As I previously mentioned the flour I used is oat flour. This is one of my favorite gluten free flours because it is quite nutritious and it tastes very nice. It has a similar flavor to regular flour, perhaps a little bit nutty. If you never baked with oat flour before, don’t worry! The cookies won’t taste like oatmeal.
To prevent the cookies from becoming too crumbly (the biggest challenge with gluten free baking) I used a mix of regular and brown sugar. This also makes them chewy and gives them a nice and rich aroma.
When it comes to the chocolate chips, you can use anything you want. I went with dark, milk and butterscotch. However, you can use peanut butter, strawberry, and anything else you can find. You can also buy regular chocolate and chop it up into small chunks.
After making the dough, I used an ice-cream scoop of 17 ml (½ fl. oz.) to scoop equal amounts of dough. This yielded 18 cookies. Please note that if you use a different size of scoop, the baking time will also differ. You will know the cookies are ready when they look golden brown.
To decorate the cookie in the picture, I place 3 chocolate chips on it while it was still hot.
See more cookie recipes here.
Here’s the recipe for the gluten free chocolate chip cookies:
Gluten Free Chocolate Chip Cookies
- 2 ¼ cups (225 g/ 8oz.) oat flour
- 1 stick (115 g/ 4 oz.) unsalted butter, room temperature
- ½ cup (90 g/ 3 oz.) brown sugar
- ¼ cup (50 g/ 1 ¾ oz.) granulated sugar
- 1 cup mixed chocolate chips (milk, dark, white, butterscotch)
- 1 large egg, room temperature
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- ½ tsp. baking soda
- ½ tsp. salt
- Preheat oven to 180°C (350°F).
- Place the butter, the brown sugar, and white sugar in a large bowl. Whisk them well until the sugars are dissolved. Add the salt, egg, and vanilla and whisk until well incorporated.
- Using a spatula add the flour in two-three steps, mixing after each step until the flour is well incorporated.
- Fold in the chocolate chips. Allow the dough to rest for 10-15 minutes.
- Line a baking tray with parchment paper. Scoop the cookie dough, using an ice-cream scoop. Place the cookies on the baking tray 5 cm (2 inch) apart.
- Bake for approximately 15 minutes. Remove from the oven and allow to cool 2 minutes on the baking tray, then transfer them to a rack to cool completely.